Skip to main content

Death Sucks....

Anyone who has lost someone they love knows this is true.  For me in 2005 it was true x 3 and sucks didn't even begin to cover it.  You see, on March 7, 2005 my mom lost her battle with cancer.  I held her hand as she drew her last breath.  My mom and I had a pretty typical mother/daughter relationship.  In my teen years I saw her as evil.  The older I got, the more I understood some things and made peace with the things I didn't like but couldn't change.  When I became a mom, I learned to love my mom, flaws and all, just the way she was.  We were always close, even during my perceived evil period, it was just sometimes we liked each other better than others.  Her death was extremely hard on me, and I believe that's when the morphing began.

Toward the end of my mom's life, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. A little more morphing.  He had surgery in May, 2005 and died of complications on May 21st.  I was now an orphan!  Losing my dad sucked BIG time, but he was with my mom and so I knew he was happy.

Both my parents were cremated, so we waited til summer for their memorial service.  They lived in the UP, so there was family coming from out of state.  Their memorial service was held in July - on my mom's birthday actually.  My brother drove us up - my husband, my son and me.  We all stayed at my parents house, my other brother lived there with them and well, it was home.

On the day of the service, we dressed up, even though it was hotter than Hades.  My husband and son wore suits, and I wore a dress, nylons, and heels.  When we got to church, I was surprised at how casually most people were dressed.  As I stepped into the church, up by the alter were their urns.  And there were pictures of when they were young, and a picture taken years before at my wedding.  It was overwhelming, and I lost it and I morphed a little more that day.

The months went by, and I tried dealing with death yet all the while, unnoticed by me, I was morphing.  And then at Christmas time I was to learn what hell on earth really felt like...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

 December, 2018                                                                          Cancer                                                                       A journey Having watched my parents die of cancer I thought I knew just how terrible cancer is, but I was wrong. You ca...

Impending Graduation

I have not looked or even thought about this so called blog since the last entry. Sadly, in all that time, nothing has changed.  Pretty pathetic, I know. Nicholas graduates a week from Monday and I have not lost a single pound.  I may have gained a couple more though. What is wrong with me!?! Dana remains unemployed after almost 4 years. We have exhausted our savings and all of our retirement funds.  We have sold all my jewelry and are in the process of selling books and movies. We have struggled to pay our rent for the last 7-8 months.  We have some great friends who have helped when they can. God Bless them. Surely, between death, debilitating depression, job loss, huge money worries and all the other bad luck we have had, we must be due very soon for a run of good luck and happy times.  Pray for that for us please. Graduation - my one and only is graduating high school on June 17th. He will turn 18 on June 25th. It has been amazing watching him grow-up fr...

Homebody

     So I was supposed to have lunch last week with my friend, Sue.  But I canceled because I didn't want to go out.  Too much effort to shower, find something to wear, get downtown...  It was easier to just back out.  Sue, in her goodness, was understanding but also concerned about the management of my depression.  I found myself explaining myself to her and in the process learned why, deep down, I don't like going out.      My response to her concern was as follows.  "You are too kind. I am better than it sounds. I am by nature a homebody. Have been my whole life. A lot of what's going on is because I have such a hard time moving about these days. Walking from my house to Alamo on the corner is enough to make my back hurt. I am so out of shape, it makes walking painful. But I try to take little steps. It's embarrassing to be walking with someone and have to stop because my back is all tensed up and hur...