Skip to main content

Kirk and Me

    A  little background on my family.  It was just the three of us; Bob is the oldest, Kirk was the middle child and I am the baby and the only girl.  There is an age difference of 9 years between me and Bob.  Kirk was 3 years older than me.  As kids we fought like all siblings do, but we were also very protective of each other.  We watched out for each other, and I especially watched out for Kirk.  We grew up in a home with a father, my biological father, who was appropriately identified years later by a therapist I was seeing, as a terrorist.  He was big and loud and mean and degrading.  Just not a very nice person.  He chose Kirk as his primary target and from a very early age I would physically put myself between him and Kirk so he could not hit him.
     Fred, as I refer to my biological father, was the kind of person with a chip on his shoulder and was always a “poor me” kind of guy.   He was always telling Kirk that he was a loser, he would never amount to anything.  When Kirk first took up the bass guitar, Fred used to say it was just what the world needed, another guitar player.  I don’t think I ever heard him say something nice to Kirk. Report card day in our house always meant Kirk was going to get the shit kicked out of him.  Fred liked to use his belt on his bare bottom, just a big bully.   I would crawl in a corner and cry because there was nothing I could do to stop it.
     Kirk once told me that his first memory was being 3 years old and wetting the bed.  (This would be about the time my mom first married Fred.)  He said that Fred beat him (apparently 3 year olds aren't supposed to wet the bed) .  And, he said when Fred was done, my mom took a turn too.  I could not believe my ears!  It made understand why I spent my life trying to make it better, to let him know he was loved and a valuable person.  He was the apple of my eye and I totally adored him in that way that only a little sister can.  But I failed in taking care of him and now he's dead.  I should have been able to do more for him.  It was MY father's fault he was such an emotional mess.  In the end, I can't help feeling I was just another person who let him down.

P.S.  Before you tell me that I am not responsible for Kirk's death, please know that in my head I know this to be true.  It is emotionally that I feel I let him down. That I could not help him in his struggle not to feel defective, to be able to see the person I saw when I looked at him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impending Graduation

I have not looked or even thought about this so called blog since the last entry. Sadly, in all that time, nothing has changed.  Pretty pathetic, I know. Nicholas graduates a week from Monday and I have not lost a single pound.  I may have gained a couple more though. What is wrong with me!?! Dana remains unemployed after almost 4 years. We have exhausted our savings and all of our retirement funds.  We have sold all my jewelry and are in the process of selling books and movies. We have struggled to pay our rent for the last 7-8 months.  We have some great friends who have helped when they can. God Bless them. Surely, between death, debilitating depression, job loss, huge money worries and all the other bad luck we have had, we must be due very soon for a run of good luck and happy times.  Pray for that for us please. Graduation - my one and only is graduating high school on June 17th. He will turn 18 on June 25th. It has been amazing watching him grow-up fr...
 December, 2018                                                                          Cancer                                                                       A journey Having watched my parents die of cancer I thought I knew just how terrible cancer is, but I was wrong. You ca...

Already half way through April..

  Time flies.  I just read what I wrote in January.  I have not done anything since I wrote that, not a thing.  I have not eaten any better, I have not moved more, nothing.  If anything, I think I have withdrawn again.  My eating habits still suck.  I am tired all the time.  My doctor is still trying to find the correct dosage for my thyroid medication.  My house is a pig sty and my kitchen is so bad I don't even want to cook in there.    I have been continuing to look at colleges for Nicky.  I have to stick to this list of schools with policy debate teams.  Over break Nicky and his dad did a campus visit at U of Chicago.  However, after finding out they have no policy debate team, they are off the list.  The boys also did a campus visit to Northwestern.  They have an outstanding policy debate program, and he seemed to really like it there. His parents like it also, and love how close to home it is!  ...